Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My New, Old Friend

Way back in high school, my mom was best friends with a lady who had a daughter around my age. (I think two years younger than me) Jenny (the daughter) and I were convinced that we didn't want to be friends...but our moms kept inventing different events where we were forced together! Then to top it off, they took us to Hawaii together and after that we became unseperable!

When I married young, at the age of 20, she was just graduating high school, going to college, etc. By the time I was a pastor's wife and mom to two young babies, she was having a blast being single travelling around Europe!

We never had a falling out, never said we weren't friends or anything..we were just in different stages in our lives.

Well, I haven't seen her since her wedding, about five years ago. Our dh's have never met and they have since had two kids. Just so happened, that her family was home for Christmas the same time mine was.

We spent most the day together today, went to my DH's ballgame together tonight and then they came over and played cards together til late. We had an absolute blast, our DH's got along great, our kids got along great, etc.etc.

We still are in different stages..she's mom to a 8 month and a 3 year old..she's into nursing and potty training! Mine are 11 and 8, I'm into attitudes and girls and stuff like that! They live in Amsterdam, we live in NC!

There is a chance they'll move to Atlanta w/in a year and we'd be the closest (about a 5 hr. drive) that we've ever lived to each other.

Anyway, it's probably silly! But I'm just thrilled we can still sit and giggle and remember old times, and talk about life as it is now and just have a really great time together. Good friends are hard to come by, so it's nice to renew an old friendship!

1 comment:

Cindy F. said...

What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing this with us! Good friends are very hard to find and I hope she and her family do move closer to you...and you stay close until they do:)